Cyberinfrastructure training & infoshares
Research computing support at IU
On this page:
- System-specific help
- Software support
- Programming help
- Short- and long-term consulting
- HIPAA security consulting
Research computing systems
The High Performance Systems (HPS) team operates and supports IU's research computing systems. For documentation on each system, see:
- About Big Red II at Indiana University
- About Big Red II+ at Indiana University
- About Carbonate at Indiana University
- About Karst at Indiana University
If you have a system-specific question, contact the HPS team.
- Big Red II will be retired from service on November 12, 2019. After that date, you will no longer be able to log into Big Red II; however, the data in your Big Red II home directory will remain accessible from your home directory on any of the other IU research supercomputers. Also, following the October 13, 2019, maintenance window, UITS will no longer accept requests for new software installations on Big Red II.
- From September 16 through October 14, 2019, Big Red II+ will be offline and unavailable while UITS Research Technologies expands the system from a three-cabinet Cray XC30 system to a five-cabinet Cray XC40 system. After the expansion, Big Red II+ will be available for use by IU graduate students, faculty, and staff. Undergraduate students and affiliates will be able to get Big Red II+ accounts if they are sponsored by full-time IU faculty or staff members. Grand Challenge users will have exclusive access to a portion of the expanded system.
For more, see Upcoming changes to research supercomputers at IU.
Research storage systems
The Research Storage team operates and supports the Scholarly Data Archive (SDA) and the home directory file systems mounted on the research computing systems. If you have questions about the SDA or your home directory space on IU's research computing systems, or need help with HPSS tools (for example, HSI and HTAR), contact the Research Storage team.
High performance file systems
The High Performance File Systems (HPFS) team operates and supports the Data Capacitor II, DC-WAN2, Slate, and Slate-Project high-performance file systems that are mounted on IU's research supercomputers. If you have questions about using your space on DC2, DC-WAN2, Slate, or Slate-Project, contact the HPFS team.
Advanced Visualization Lab systems and facilities
The Advanced Visualization Lab (AVL) team operates and supports advanced media and interactive visualization systems and facilities that help IU researchers extract knowledge from their data, and enable IU students, educators, and artists express their creative visions. If you have questions about using an AVL system or facility, contact the AVL.
Programming tools and scientific, statistical, and mathematical software
The Research Applications and Deep Learning (RADL) team manages the site licenses for the scientific, statistical, and mathematical applications available on IU's research computing systems. If you need help or have questions about using any of the programming tools, or scientific, statistical, or mathematical applications on IU's research computing systems, contact the UITS Research Applications and Deep Learning team.
Bioinformatics and genome analysis software
The National Center for Genome Analysis Support (NCGAS) provides support for the bioinformatics and genome analysis software available on IU's research computing systems. If you need help or have questions about using the bioinformatics and genome analysis packages at IU, contact NCGAS.
GIS and remote sensing software
UITS Geographic Information System (GIS) Services provides access to GIS and remote sensing software, and technical support to users. For technical support or questions about GIS and remote sensing software across all IU campuses, contact UITS GIS Services.
Visualization and advanced media software
Advanced Visualization Lab (AVL) consultants help with visualization, interaction, and advanced media software used in AVL facilities. To request help, contact the AVL.
The Research Applications and Deep Learning (RADL) team provides programming support to IU researchers, and can help migrate, optimize, and parallelize your advanced scientific code. To request programming support for your research project, contact the UITS Research Applications and Deep Learning team.
Short- and long-term consulting
The RADL, NCGAS, and AVL units also offer short- and long-term consulting services to help IU researchers effectively use scientific, statistical, mathematical, bioinformatics, genome analysis, and visualization software. RADL staff also provides extended consulting for researchers facing complicated, sophisticated programming challenges.
To inquire about each team's consulting services, use the contact links provided above.
HIPAA security consulting
UITS provides consulting and online help for Indiana University researchers, faculty, and staff who need help securely processing, storing, and sharing data containing protected health information (PHI). If you have questions about managing HIPAA-regulated data at IU, contact UITS HIPAA Consulting. To learn more about properly ensuring the safe handling of PHI on UITS systems, see the UITS IT Training video Securing HIPAA Workflows on UITS Systems. For additional details about HIPAA compliance at IU, see HIPAA Privacy and Security Compliance
Pervasive Technology Institute
PTI enables innovation through collaboration. This helps further IU's mission of research, education, and engagement—both in and beyond Indiana.